Andy Hall

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:12:55 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

==============
My suggestion was prompted by one very bad personal experience. I bought a
new house several years ago and because it was new (with no searchable
history) the searches showed none of the items I cited. When the Deeds were
prepared by the vendor a covenant was inserted which permitted several other
properties access through my property. This wasn't a problem at first but
some of the other owners assumed that 'access through' gave them a right to
park on my property. Legal action was necessary to confirm my right to
prevent people parking on my property and of course this resulted in very
bad relations with several neighbours. When I sold the property (as quickly
as I could!) the purchaser's surveyor did indeed ask me personally about the
situation and actually measured all the boundaries to confirm their
location. The purchaser was made fully aware of the situation and had the
result of my legal action to prevent any repetition of the original problem.
My solicitor was not very helpful and only acted under pressure from myself.
He had either missed the covenant at the time of purchase or hadn't
considered it worth his time to explain it to me. Although my experience may
be rare I think it is worth asking both solicitor and surveyor about such
things. If it doesn't concern the surveyor he will surely not be upset about
being asked and may actually know about such things despite being outside
his terms of reference.

Cic.

Now I know where you are coming from and I see the point.

I purchased a new property some years ago, built on some farmland and
there had been a public footpath which would have gone through several
of the properties. Because the area around had been developed
anyway, there had become no purpose for the footpath anyway it was not
that important, but an insured indemnity had had to be put in place by
the builder to cover it. This all came out in the searches as well
as being volunteered by the builder.

It seems though, that in your case, the solicitor didn't do his job
properly.

The original point was whether surveyors have a part to play and I
didn't see that they did in terms of titles, covenants and the like.
How would the surveyor know unless you ask him to do a Land Registry
search as well? it's another opinion, but you can equally get the
entry from the Land Registry yourself for nominal cost.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl