MM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:14:06 GMT, EricP wrote:

I can only speak for myself when I say that the stuff in my house does
not bother me in the slightest, and any attempt to get a reduction in
price would result in my agent being instructed to find a new
purchaser.

Ah, this is exactly the sentiment I have been pondering over the past
few hours, but couldn't actually put into words! Thanks for the
succinct instruction: Find a new buyer! That, I am sure, will
concentrate minds wonderfully.

I am far more concerned about the foam underlay from carpets
that has degraded and got under the floor and is laying on top of the
ceilings in a thick layer. Having said that, we may be moving from
the sellers market, into a buyers market, and that must be taken into
consideration.

Here it already has become a buyer's market. But that is no reason to
capitulate over nonexistent or invented paranoias.

I am shortly going to be removing a large amount of my ceilings and
replacing them with new after certain work. I will wear a mask as a
precaution, and avoid converting the stuff to dust, where possible.

Apart from that, I will not be too concerned.

I think this is a new scam that will appear and disappear as market
circumstances dictate.

From your point of view, I feel it is a matter of how much the buyers
want your house, and remembering that every other house in the
viscinity is likely to offer equal "horrors". )

They do want my house. They said so on the second viewing and told my
estate agent so. They are very keen, as shown by the fact that they
organised the building society surveyor to come just four days
(including the weekend) after I had accepted their offer. They said
all along that they could not make an offer until they had a firm
offer for their house. But as soon as they did receive the latter,
they contacted my estate agent, within hours, I believe, and put in
their offer. So, yes, I do sincerely believe they are very keen. It's
not as if there is ANYthing else to choose from, either in the
location or at this price. Nothing comes close. This is an ex-LA
property. Place the same 3-bed semi at the other end of the village
and ka-ching! Add another 30 grand to the price!

I spent 15 minutes walking around the estate on the lookout for
obvious asbestos. It's everywhere. Nearly every house has a shed or
garage built in the 1950s/60s and most appear to have corrugated
asbestos roofs. Some have smooth asbestos sheet walls as well.

MM