MM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:19:00 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:10:58 +0100, MM wrote:

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:11:12 +0100, Peter Ramm
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:26:33 +0100, MM wrote:

How is the residual payment left over after completing a house sale
usually paid out? Cheque, or transfer to bank account?

MM

I would definitely have it as a transfer. I read over last couple of
months of someone who had sold their house and the money was sent as a
cheque. Unfortunately, the cheque was "intercepted" - a bank account
in the name of the beneficiary opened and the money disappeared.
(I've Googled for it and checked archives but can't find original
article)

Well, I was planning - if I were to decide on the cheque method - to
take the cheque in my hot little hands, cross the High Street to the
Nationwide and pay it in, beating off muggers and other ne-er-do-wells
in the process.

My real question is, which is the absolute SAFEST method available to
guarantee* that the payment reaches my account?

* Yes, I know NOthing in life is guaranteed 100%, but let's say, as
near as dammit!

MM

Give the solicitor the sort code of Nationwide plus your account
number and ask the to do a direct transfer - BACS if you don't mind it
disappearing for a couple of days or CHAPS for same day.

You might want to look around for other short term money homes which
pay a better interest rate. 1% more on (£180k was it?) for a couple
of months is a few more hundred quid for you....

Nationwide is only a safe haven for the first few days while I catch
my breath.

MM