Andy Hall

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:10:55 +0100, MM wrote:

Your latter point may very well be at the heart of it, but how
justified would that be? For example, the building society survey says
"asbestos nee nah nee nah" and the buyer thinks, ah, spend a couple of
hundred quid on an additional survey, then negotiate a grand off the
agreed price. I need to stick to my guns, but so far, on the web, I
haven't found any definitive statement from the environmental people
that blows away any bargaining position by the buyer. The best I can
find so far is: "Asbestos in good condition should be left in place
and managed." What I need is a building regulation/advisory or
something. Something really official, from HM Government.

Now, the buyer may very well be planning changes to the building -
building an extension, for example - which might entail removing the
asbestos sheets from the shed roof. But what the next owner does or
doesn't do is nothing to do with me and I would not see any
justification for a price reduction on that basis. Feel free to add
your additional comments, though.

MM

Right now you don't need anything, apart, perhaps from a nice G&T.

Nothing has happened, no surveyor has called and no scam attempted.

However you are well prepared with information on what the scams
*could* be *if* they happen.

Tony has posted the details of an organisation that could be brought
into play if need be.

The main thing is not to do anything to panic the buyer because the
whole thing is probably about nothing anyway.

If and when there are negative reports from the surveyor and his
brother in law at the environmental company, you can ask for copies
and then obtain your professional advice.

It could be that there's a scam afoot or not. It could be that the
surveyor is covering himself or creaming from the buyer.
The buyer, having paid for the report is more likely than not to
accept the contents, but it's really only then that there is something
tangible to discuss.

For the moment, I think you've done all that you reasonably can other
than getting in your own asbestos expert tomorrow. I don't see the
point, though because right now nothing has happened.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl