Pecanfan

I'll second that, no electrical problem should be allowed to go
unchecked. A couple of days back a friend of mine complained that a
single 13A socket in her kitchen had not worked for a while. I found
that the screw holding the neutral wires was loose, not just slightly
loose but it took 2 or 3 turns to tighten it!

We had the same problem in our flat, only it was the neutral meter tail
which wasn't actually attached to the main RCD in the consumer unit. Only
noticed it by chance - having just moved in, checked the electrics as a
matter of course. There were char marks all around the terminal screw on
the RCD - was quite shocked to find it was only held in by the tension of
the cable itself!

In a previous house, the main earth cable for the entire property went from
the consumer unit to a location behind the meter board. I always assumed it
was attached to the shield of the incoming supply. Wasn't until I replaced
the consumer unit that I found it was just dangling in mid air behind the
meter.

Needless to say the electric board didn't pick up on either of these when
they initially came out to re-fit the main fuse. In fact, it's frightening
how blasé the electric board are in general about this sort of stuff. If
there's a gas leak, Transco are out within minutes. If there's an
electrical fault nobody seems to give a damn, IMHO.

Andy