Andy Hall

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:09:33 +0100, MM wrote:

My estate agent has just called to say that the buyer's building
society survey report has come back saying that there are "traces of
asbestos" in my property and a separate special investigation by an
environmental services company is required. Consequently, a man is
coming later this week.

Is this where I should really start panicking?

Of course not.

The only abestos I can
think of is four corrugated sheets forming the roof of the adjacent
brick shed, which is approximately 10 ft x 8 ft.

Could be that. Do you have any pre-1980 Artex?

How much is this going to cost me?

Nothing yet. The buyer is paying. It may even be a ruse by the
surveyor to put more cost into his job at the expense of the buyer.

Of course the buyer may then want to recover the extra survey cost
from you.

Should I get a second opinion?

Not yet. It won't make any difference at this point. You aren't
going to dissuade the buyer from getting his done, and if you make an
issue beforehand, it might give him the impression that you have
something to hide.

thought asbestos in sheet form, provided it is undisturbed, is
harmless.

There are various types and most are.

If it were me, I would do nothing, ask to see a copy of the
environmental report and then decide what to do. If it does relate
to the shed and the buyer doesn't like it then it could be a game to
get it fixed at your expense.

Equally, it could be people covering their backsides because of the
publicity, some warranted and some not about asbestos.

Try asbestos you can not to worry - hard though that may be. Now is
the time to be cool and not make any waves.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl