Don D.

Guys
Thanks for all your input. I am thinking about my new shop and making sure I
have the power like Michael B. saw. I can bare with the lack of outlets and
space in the garage I am in now, But I will not have a lack of power and
space in my new shop if I do my home work now instead of rushing the week
before.

"Michael Baglio" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:02:52 GMT, TWS wrote:
Don,
if your equipment is already wired for 110 then I would leave them
alone. Typically 220V would be used when your equipment is rated
2-3HP or above. Your TS is probably 1 1/2 HP and could be run on
either 110 or 220 but, as I said, there is marginal benefit to wiring
the 1 1/2 HP motor to 220.
TWS
http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm

Hey Tom,
I think the operative factor here is that he's setting up new. When I
put my power in, I figured there was so little in the way of extra
time/energy/expense to installing 220 that it didn't make sense _not_
to do it. For my one-man shop, one run of 220 around the baseboard,
then about 15 minutes per machine to change motor wiring and I'm done.
Lotta benefit for little work. However, If I had an existing shop
with _only_ 110, I'm not sure I'd have bothered to run an extra line,
figuring the occasional tripped breaker and the "110 is less powerful
under load" argument wouldn't justify the effort.

New construction is just so much easier than retrofitting, y'know?

Michael "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing" Baglio
\\Extra expense of installing 2 extra circuits and running 4-outlet
boxes on every other stud: maybe a couple hundred bucks, tops.
\\Ability to plug something in "Right HERE", and not have to settle
for "somewhere way over there": Priceless!