Bill Rubenstein

Woodfast also used to make a very nice shortbed lathe. Woodfast, however, is no longer
building lathes at all. Vicmarc also builds longbed lathes but I'd guess that they sell many
more of the shortbed. Once you turn bowls and hollow forms on a shortbed you will not want
to go back to a longbed. Those machines with sliding headstocks, rotating headstocks, etc.
are no substitute for a good shortbed.

Bill

In article , says...

"Maxprop" skrev i melding
ink.net...
In the pages of the Craft Supplies catalog, the Woodfast 20" lathe and the
Vicmarc VL300 look awfully similar in design and configuration. I realize
both are made in Oz, but I'm curious as to which came first, and if a
disgruntled employee of one company left to start the other, or what?

Does anyone have knowledge of these two lathes and their history?

A quick look reveals that the VIC is a _short_ lathe, mostly for
bowl-turning,(max 500mm)
while the Woodfast i a _long_ lathe, which also can handle long spindles
(max 950mm)

Otherwise both seem to be very good value.

Bjarte