Andy Hall

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:03:40 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote
| "Owain" wrote:
| | But unfortunately it still needs a licence... :-(
| No, because streaming video over a computer network isn't
| broadcast television.
| If you are a company and use broadcast TV and distribute it
| over a computer network to your employees, you may require
| a license or redistribution agreement from the content owner
| or the original broadcaster..

I think you would require both - a TV licence for operating the broadcast
receiver, and some form of redistribution rights.

Owain

In a commercial setting, yes. I've had some involvement in
implementing such systems in the past. For off-air analogue TV a
business TV license covers it because it covers you building by
building within the business. So I could cable up my office with a
CATV system and have lots of TVs, but I need another license if I
sublet part of the building for the use of others - or rather they do.
Distributing within the building over IP would really make no
difference to that principle.

If you had multiple buildings you could circumvent this with IP
streaming, but it may not be economic - you would be trading the cost
of your building to building bandwidth with implementing an additional
head-end.

However, commercially licensed services are a different matter. IIRC
Sky have a special charging scheme and some of the paid financial TV
services are or were licensed per user.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl