Rick Dipper

On 24 Oct 2004 17:06:32 -0700, (Dean
Heighington) wrote:

Can anyone recommend a place to buy
Celotex or Kingspan at the best prices,
or is there a cheaper solution that would
do the job just as well?

It's for my garden lodge... timber framed,
sitting on brick built wall to about 500mm,
all on a concrete, reinforced base and with
tanking system to prevent any damp entering
the sub-floor. Area is about 14m x 4.5m.

The building is well away from the house (right
at the bottom of the garden) and the space will be
split into 2 areas... home/office with computers and
creature comforts and the other area, a workshop.

The roof is pitched with gable ends and covered
with a good quality felt. The interior ceiling is
vaulted with exposed beams, as I like the sense
of space this gives.

So, I'm looking to insulate the walls and roof elevations
and could do with some advice on the best product or
combination of products to use to get maximum
performance, while remaining economically priced.

I'd also be grateful for any adivce on heating solutions.

Thanks for any info.

dean.

Sir

Celotex / kingspan are not "full fill" insulations, so you need 25-50
mm between the stuff, and the outside wall. With 100mm of Crown
Dritherm (or rockwall cavity) you can have a "full fill" insulation
with much less cost and the same u value as 50mm kingspan. If using a
rockwall type product, you must ensure its for "full full cavity", the
loft stuff on rolls is definatly not.

Polystyernie is IMHO the best stuff, if you can get hold of the "full
fill" boards, which again most are not. You need to buy a lorry full
from any of the suppliers I found.

If your insulation is good, your PC will kick out a good bit of heat,
you will be supprised. I have a home office, built into the roof of my
house, only in the coldest days do I need to suplement the heat from
the 3 PC's I have on.

Rick