Prometheus

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:15:50 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
Maybe someday when war machines are autonomous this argument will have

some
validity, but it does not right now.

All right, all right- fine. There are all sorts of military and
guerrilla tactics to accomplish almost any sort of military goal.
That's freely granted. What isn't is my consent for every damn yahoo
on the block to have a machine gun so that they can shoot up the
neighborhood whenever they see a property tax increase.

Wow, you're really ratcheting up the hyperbole. If I wanted to cause
property damage or shoot some folks, I wouldn't need an automatic weapon.
Most people don't want and can't afford automatic weapons anyway. If you're
gonna argue for gun control, you'd better come up with something other than
this lame argument.

Nah, I'm not for gun control. I just get tired of the same old
"They're going to take away my guns" line. It sounds way to close to
paranoid schizophrenia to make me comfortable with those people as gun
owners. I'm all for home defense and sporting arms, just not for
nutcases getting military-style firearms. That being said- I am fully
aware that the "assult weapons ban" applied to semi-automatic weapons
that were not any more dangerous than your average 30-06. They just
looked mean, so dopes went after them. I own guns, I keep them in my
home, and I use them when I hunt or shoot trap. If someone were to
break in to my home, I'd use one on the intruder with no hesitation.

The only reason I chimed in at all is because even though I consider
myself a conservative [conservative, not "republican"], I really do
not want to see the damn GWB get another four years over some
hysterical non-issue. The NRA does quite a few very good things, and
I feel that the hysteria that some of these folks try to evoke is not
only irritating, but damaging to an otherwise useful group. If
gun-control were one of the major issues in this election, I could
understand pushing the second-amendment's case, but it really is not.

As far as hyperbole goes, what exactly is it when people come up with
the ol' "they're gonna round up all our guns and enslave us in a
police state" arguement? Should the response to this be a mild *tut
tut*?
todd