Prometheus

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 19:48:16 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:45:11 -0400, "Sam the Cat"

The standard method is to use glazing points (just ask for them at the
hardware store, they should have 'em anywhere) and then use a glazing
compound to seal and hold the mirror in place. Easy to do, even for a
beginner- the glazing points just press in with a flathead screwdriver
or putty knife, and the glazing compund is applied just like caulk.

Are you sure about what you are saying concerning Mirrors? I just posted
pics of a curio cabinet that has a 2 mirrored back. My local glass supplier
indicated that most any sealant adhesive or glue that comes in contact with
the mirror back can damage the mirror backing. Also if using glazing points
you could scratch the back plating on the mirror.

I went with my own 1/4" rounds and brad nailed them in.

You could be right, of course. I've done a lot of windows like this,
but only 2 or 3 mirrors. In all cases, everything worked out just
fine, but I didn't do any mirrors until after I had replaced the glass
in about 3 dozen windows, so I may have just had the right touch when
it came to putting in the points. Honestly, it's been long enough
that I don't even really remember whether I used glazing compund or
not with the mirrors, so it's possible the stuff could wreck the back
of a mirror (Though I remember it being ok IIRC- it could be that the
product I used had a different chemical composition than some others)
Obviously, standard advice applies here- test in a hidden area before
using anything in the final project!