Edwin Pawlowski

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
news:MgVed.912$R05.95@attbi_s53...

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Epoxy , no , Solder mayby , Brazing - welding yes

Yeah, right. I'd like to see you weld cast iron.

Idiot.

I assume the word "Idiot" is your signature, not something you are calling
others. Please educate yourself, Mr. Idiot, so you don't look silly.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ronpreheat.asp
or
http://www.muggyweld.com/castiron.html
or from:

http://www.twi.co.uk/j32k/protected/band_3/jk25.html
Weldability
This depends on microstructure and mechanical properties. For example, grey
cast iron is inherently brittle and often cannot withstand stresses set up
by a cooling weld. As the lack of ductility is caused by the coarse graphite
flakes, the graphite clusters in malleable irons, and the nodular graphite
in SG irons, give significantly higher ductility which improves the
weldability.

The weldability may be lessened by the formation of hard and brittle
microstructures in the heat affected zone (HAZ), consisting of iron carbides
and martensite. As nodular and malleable irons are less likely to form
martensite, they are more readily weldable, particularly if the ferrite
content is high.