Gary DeWitt

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message ...
Well, me and the dovetail jig spent about two hours getting aquainted again
so that I can do four drawers. I have the time invested once again and will
go ahead and do it this way but that's it - I've really had enough spending
three times the time setting it up as doing them. If it were straight
half-blind dovetails, it wouldn't be so bad, but no - they are rabbited
dovetails with 3/4 and 1/2" material. Between getting depths correct and
even, getting guides set so sides match fronts, etc - it's a PITA. Each
time I tell myself that I understand it and can do it again, but not having
as good a memory as I think I do, I have to start over with the learning
curve.

I don't really have a choice with a chest of drawers because of the strength
of the joint, but I'm going to learn another way. Cutting by hand isn't
really an option because chisel work hasn't been a real strong suit - gotta
use power of some sort I guess. Anyone else get frustrated with dovetails?

Don

What about box joints? Easy to do, once you have your jig (don't
forget to note the required dado shims/settings on the jig!)
What about rabbet joints with reinforcing, decorative small dowels, or
brass pins ala Mr. Marks?
Then, if you don't want to buy an expensive router bit for occaisional
use, there's always creating your own locking joint, dado in the sides
and rabbet in the front. I used this on poplar shop drawers, with
maple fronts added, they are holding up well to heavy, nearly daily
use.