Ed Sirett

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:41:15 +0000, Huge wrote:

"Owain" writes:
"Bob Eager" wrote
| Home and Lesiure advertise that their programs can be
| viewed on-line, so chuck out the TV.
| ....and get a 2gig connection.
| Still cheeper than a TV licence, we have a 310 Gig
| connection at work
| But unfortunately it still needs a licence... :-(

No, because streaming video over a computer network isn't broadcast
television.

Let me know what the magistrate thinks, will you?

I'm fairly sure Owain is right. AIUI the licence is for equipment capable
of receiving TV broadcasts.
This means a telly with the tuner removed so you can only watch videos
does not require a licence.
This means a VCR which is used record programs even they are watched
elsewhere or on a B&W TV does.
IANAL but downloading data is not broadcasting.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk