JM

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:30:35 +0100, "JM" wrote:

Yes - the leaking occurs whether the hoses are connected or not, and
whether the taps are on or off.

The leakage appears to be both from the joint between the pipe and
the valve, and from the end of the valve (i.e.after the tap).

If it's leaking before the valve, then that's a bad compression
fitting. It can be caused by the pipe being poorly cut (and
distorted), re-using an old olive, jointing onto painted pipe, or just
being cack-handed at fitting them.

The fix is to take the valve off and re-fit it, doing it carefully
this time. You'll need a new olive.

I may well simply buy a couple of new valves just to be sure - they're just
a couple of quid each at Focus (just round the corner from me) and I'm a bit
concerned that the taps on the valves aren't that effective on the current
ones..

The pipes themselves aren't painted, so it'll be one of the other 3 options.

The valve shouldn't leak internally, but especially for high pressure
cold water, it wouldnt be the first one to do so.

You don't need any PTFE tape. It won't help.

Good to know.

Every time I disconnect a washing machine, I also replace the rubber
washers in the flexible hoses. They go hard with age and although they
keep a good seal when undisturbed, they usually leak when they go back
on. They don't always do it, but I prefer to just do a job once.

It's a brand-new washing machine (I've been renting up to now) which came
with all the appropriate hoses, washers, etc. so I expect that they are OK.

Cheers,
John.