mac davis

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:21:06 -0700, wrote:

On 24 Oct 2004 07:41:02 -0700,
(Never Enough
Money) wrote:

Prometheus wrote in message
[snip]

It's also important to note that there is going to be an accuracy
tolerance on the lift, and it is not going to be one thousandth. I
run a couple of $60,000 saws, and the initial tolerance is .002 for
those. No way is a router lift going to beat that for $500. You
still have to measure when you set up- it'd just be easier to fine
tune.

Good point. I may be mixing up the term accuracy with the term
precision.

However, from a logical point of view it is incorrect to say a
$600,000 saw can be a $500 in everything. The $60K mama probably has
much more horsepower and a bunch of other stuff -- that's true. But
just like a hang-glider can make a sharper turn than and F-16 Figher,
a $500 saw might be able to beat a $60,000 saw at _some_ things.

I'm debating your logic _not_ whether your statement that a $60K saw
is better than a $500 one. If the router in question is much lighter
or smaller it is possible that a $500 lift on a $250 router could be
comparable to a $60K setup that is much bigger an requires more
mechanics to solve the precision/accuracy problems.

Just my, 2 cents - not trying to start a posting war.

I think what 5 figures gives you aside from a half a ton of iron is
CNC....

and a major tax write off..