Andrew McKay

On 24 Oct 2004 14:16:22 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Grab the body of the valve in a pair of mole-grips or something, and
you can then really tighten the plastic bit.

Whoa! Do not REALLY tighten the hose connectors! Nip them up, yes, but
don't do an Arnold Swarzeneggar on them or you will be sorry.

If you attempt to apply too much pressure on the plastic bit what
happens (frequently) is that the plastic bit breaks physically, and
the drip turns into a flood.

In cases where the washing machine hose(s) do not make a good seal on
the tap and everything else is in order, the solution is usually to
replace the washing machine hoses. This has worked for me on a couple
of occasions - so I carry spare hoses in my plumbing kit now.

Have you tried replacing the rubber washer that sits between the hose
and the tap? These cost a few pence and aren't really re-usable if
you've had them in place for a while.

Andrew