James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Cherry can be kind of squirrely but so can lots of other woods. I found
when planing cherry, it helps to wet the wood
with water just prior. Softens up the fibers for cutting. Make sure your
knives are sharp and take very little off at a time.
Don't get frustrated with it as cherry is a nice wood to work with.
Cheers,
cc

"JGS" wrote in message

on a couple boards, I went back and put the "jointed" face through the
planer to clean off the tear out.

Hi Ian,

I do that all the time as it gives me a smoother surface. Has to do with
the speed of the knives and how fast the wood moves ( or I move the wood)
through each machine.
And yes, I have had chip-out on one end of a board and not the other. And
not just with cherry. Cheers, JG