Never Enough Money

Just so we remain completely accurate....

My caculator says 1/128 = 0.0078 = ~ 0.008. You had an extra zero.
That's eight times less accurate than a 1/1000'th machine.

Similarly 1/64 is close to 0.016, not 0.0016, as you say.

Prometheus wrote in message . ..
On 23 Oct 2004 14:19:19 -0700, (Never Enough
Money) wrote:

Wow. I got a lot of negative replies on that post. Are we talking
about the same thig? I saw an electronic router lift that is activated
with a button, has electronic control for backlash, and a digital
readout. Why are folks comparing that to shapers? I must be missing
something.....

Because it's way too expensive for a router accessory. It puts a
regular router into a shaper's price range, without the extra power
and sturdy base.

Wouldn't it be more apropriate to compare to JessEm's Rout-R-Lift, or
Bench Dog's ProLift, or the Woodpecker's Precision Lift?

The routers with built in lifts are a lot less accurate (I think -- on
the order of 1/128'th of an inch versus 1/1000'th).

Not to nitpick, but a 128th of an inch is only about .0008" I was
under the impression that anything closer than a 64th (.0016") was
considered extremely accurate and fine craftsmanship when it comes to
woodworking. What is it you intend to rout that needs a tolerance of
.0001"?

It's also important to note that there is going to be an accuracy
tolerance on the lift, and it is not going to be one thousandth. I
run a couple of $60,000 saws, and the initial tolerance is .002 for
those. No way is a router lift going to beat that for $500. You
still have to measure when you set up- it'd just be easier to fine
tune.

(Never Enough Money) wrote in message . com...
http://www.jointech.com/

Looks like an advancment to me. Of course it cost almost $500.00,
that's just for the lift, no router included.