Greg G

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 05:19:36 GMT, "Mr. Whippy"
wrote:

I just bought a house that has a light switch that controls nothing! How
do I trace what this switch is supposed to do without ripping out walls to
trace the wiring? Suggestions? (now... be nice) ;-)

You might want to look carefully at the ceiling in any room that
doesn't have a ceiling fixture. I found small round plaster repairs
in the ceilings of two rooms in my house. The previous owners
apparently didn't like ceiling fixtures.

I took a chance that the one in my MBR might still be active and
chopped away the plaster. I installed a cheap "temporary" fixture
that I had bought in case it worked. That was, of course, a couple of
years ago. The difference between temporary and permanent is a subtle
one in my house.

Even if I didn't need a fixture, it's just as well that I opened up
the ceiling box. If memory serves there was no cover on the box, just
a wad of newspaper stuffed into it to serve as a backing for the
plaster. The wires inside were just taped off and the tape was in
questionable condition.

Greg Guarino