Art

Failure in the IR Pickup circuit, or anything between it and the MPU
inclusive of stuck or corroded tac switches. Due to the age even leaky
diodes or other components going bad will affect these operations. Start by
checking the operating potentials at the IR Pickup and confirm indeed it is
picking up and transferring the signals from the remote. If so then trace
that signal all the way to the MPU. Severe clipping or loss of the Control
Signals from the IR Pickup while in route to the MPU will affect its
functions. IMHO it is highly unlikely that you have changed any data
parameters when using the universal remote that will result in this symptom.
"Jem Berkes" wrote in message
.. .
I posted about this earlier (Hitachi CT7883) with the original Video Brain
Remote Transmitter CLU-600PR which broke down over time. The Hitachi VCR
remote control, however, could still control the television perfectly!

But * after * trying an RCA universal remote, the television stopped
responding entirely to even the good remote control. Now I have obtained a
factory remote replacement as per Hitachi's tech support and even this can
not control the television set. The TV stopped responding to remote
controls.

I'm quite certain that the programming efforts of the universal remote put
the TV into a bad state. If I can clear the nonvolatile memory somehow,
this should fix things. But even leaving the TV unplugged had no success.

Any ideas? Is there anything else I can do, short of calling in a repair
person to look at a 13 year old TV set?

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.sysdesign.ca/