Ed Sirett

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:49:00 +0000, mickael wrote:

The question of legality in carrying out work on your own installation has
been covered before in this NG. The consensus has been that you do not have
to employ a CORGI fitter if the work that you carry out is done competently.
I guess that in the ultimate circumstances a court would decide if you had
been competent.

However does anyone know if the above is also true for the following
specific circumstance:

I returned from holiday to find that my gas had been turned off by Transco
after my neighbours had reported what they thought was a smell of gas
(incorrectly I believe). The Transco people couldn't detect any gas leak but
took the easy/safe/cover your orse option of switching off the supply and
putting a notice through my door with the lowest of the three categories
Concern for Safety ticked. The notice says: The gas equipment must not be
used. It is an offence to continue to use an unsafe appliance or
installation until tested by a CORGI registered installer.

So is it an offence or does the competency thing apply?

Transco are quite right to have put a Concern for Safety notice. As they
were unable to gain access to your house they could only test the pipe
work.

If you had a boiler, say, with a permanent pilot light it could have been
leaking after the gas valve. Transco turned off the pilot valve dropped
out and they tested the pipes up to the gas valve. Admittedly this is not
likely and a big leak would likely have been ignited by the pilot flame.

In addition to reapeating Trasco's test an inspection of the applinaces
will have to be made.

For less than £100 (likely more around £60) you could ask for a Landlords'
Safety Record. You can then wave it under your neighbour's nose if they
accuse your house of leaking gas again.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk