Ed Sirett

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 04:07:39 +0100, Richard Faulkner wrote:

Do they actually add this to your bill, or is it one of those internal
things which enables them to avoid some VAT - which lots of firms do
these days.

I know IKEA are making a charge which is added to the bill, but I didnt
think Safeway and Homebase would take a lead on this?

I had clocked the fact that they tell you that 2.5% of the payment (the
same amount however you pay) was to their CC admin company. I wondered
why they had to tell us. I hadn't realized it was to avoid VAT.

Sounds like "Jaffa Cakes Are they bisuits?" About £10m quid is riding on
the answer.
I think the answer ws that the company won as they were classed as cakes
(NO VAT). It ws a phyrric (sp?) victory as Customs & Excise then
argued that they were chocolate cakes ( with VAT )

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk