Lazarus

Default Electrrics problem in flat

Keep getting little electric popping sounds all over the flat under the
floor where the wiring goes. Each time it happens the lights flicker for a
second. Its like little "puch" noises like you get when a light bulb dies
but its not in the same place and may not even be to do with my flat because
my gf heard it in the close too?

The places I have heard it does indeed follow a trail of the ring mains but
why at all different parts of it?

Its not coming from sockets it could only be coming from the middle of the
wires.

I dont know if its coincidence or not but it has happened quite a few times
when the updstairs neighbour switches on her washing machine.

Recently (in case this is any clue) I had to repair the light socket in the
lounge after knocking cobwebs away from the lightshade. I must have hit it
and one of the wires broke in the lampholder and it was a real struggle to
try to get it fixed while up a pair of ladders(tall ceiling).

If I didnt get it quite right would it cause this? I doubted it becuase the
light circuit is def on its own ring but then I know nowt about electrics.

If I do lift the floorboards(which would have to be cut) what do I look for?

I live on the ground floor by the way.

Any ideas anyone?