James Sweet

"Lionel" wrote in message
Kibo informs me that (CFoley1064) stated that:

Hi, Dave. A heads-up here -- motherboards are multi-layer, and yanking

the
leads out can result in tearing the connections between layers.

It's far better to cut off the top of the cap and gently heating each

hole
individually. Very gentle here -- don't pull. It should practically

come out
on its own.

Good advice.

Also, a 40 watt iron is a little heavy for PCB repair. Most people use

around
a 25 watt iron for PCB repairs.

Although I've found that 25W can be a little weak for working on
ground/power plane pads on multilayer boards, but as you said, 40W is a
little risky. Generally, it's best to use a good soldering station for
this sort of job, rather than a general-purpose iron.

If you try it with a 25W you'll never get them out, more likely you'll
overheat the board from having to keep the heat on it so long and the pads
will rip right off. I use a 140W Weller soldering gun for these, it's the
only way I've found to reliably heat the capacitor lead quickly enough to
remove it from the multilayer board without tearing things up. Conventional
rules do not apply here.