DaveŁ

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 23:03:31 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

The first point is that most corrosion inhibitors tend to lose their
properties after about three years, so it's time to deal with it
anyway.

Second point, is that it is a good idea to put an in-line strainer on
the return to the boiler to prevent particles of crud reaching the
heat exchanger,

There are a few options with inhibitors and dosing techniques:

1) Use a gel cartridge like Fernox Superconcentrate which you inject
via a radiator vent using a mastic gun. Easy, but the most expensive

2) Plumb in a pipe with a service valve to use as a dosing point, then

a) Liquid inhibitor such as Fernox MB-1 can be pumped in against the
pressure using a modified garden sprayer.

b) As a) but release the system pressure and put in inhibitor using a
funnel

Thanks to Andy, Chris and Christian for answering this one.

Second point, is that it is a good idea to put an in-line strainer on
the return to the boiler to prevent particles of crud reaching the
heat exchanger,

That sounds like a brilliant idea. I can't imagine why they don't fit
one as standard! Can you (anyone) recommend such an item and advise
where I can buy one? One that is compact, small and easy to clean out
would be ideal.

Dave L