Andy Hall

Default Granite worktop span

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:24:04 -0000, "Peter Taylor"
wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote

It is just the 1.8m section that will only be supported
on 3 sides that I'm worried about.

etc

I think this is far too long Christian. I bought a piece of 20mm granite 2m x
300mm for the shelf over the concealed cistern in my Bathroom. I collected it,
put it in the back of my estate supported on 3 cross battens, wrapped it in a
blanket and tied it with a rope. I drove home like I was following a funeral,
but when I got there I found the bl**dy thing in two pieces! I was really
surprised how weak granite is in tension - the strength varies with the type of
granite and the size of the quartz particles apparently.

I would say you need to talk to the suppliers (and get them to deliver it!)

Peter

...... and template for it and install it. Also, apply adequate
Vaseline to shoulders.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl