Terry

"Tom" wrote in message
news:4Qjed.304424$3l3.94749@attbi_s03...
I have a Grizzly G0444Z table saw and a G1029Z dust collector. Both run on
220. The saw cord has a green wire which is ground and a red and black

which
are both hot and the dust collector cord has the same. Both draw 15 to 20
amps. I have 12/2 with ground
romex cable (white, black and bare ground wires). I was told by Grizzly to
use a 20 amp/220 double breakers on both and 12/2WG and color the white

wire
as black or red. I think they said each motor has capacitors, what ever

that
means. What confuses me is in the past when I wired a 220 circuit I always
used 12/3WG ( red, black, and white with a bare ground wire). Have any of
you wired your saw or other machinery like Grizzly told me to? In

addition
to grounding my dust collector vacuum lines I was thinking that I would go

head and run a ground wire on each unit to the cold water pipe for added
protection. I would appreciate any advice you could offer me. Thanks a

lot.

If the dust collector is also 220 volt then could be wired same Red/Black
and a ground, same as the 220v. saw.
AIUI Various electrical codes allow one to use White/Black instead of
Red/Black.
But if white is used as 'one side/leg' of 220 then it should be
taped/sleeved and/or colour coded to clearly show that wire is being used
instead of a red wire.
In other words if you don't need to wire a neutral you don't.
Typically our 220 volt hot water tank does not use a neutral, neither does
our 220 volt dryer; so the white wire is left disconnected. Our 230 volt
stove DOES use the white neutral.
Our 220 volt bench saw, which can be mover around a little, has a heavy
White/Black flex with a green ground. White is one 'side' and black the
other of the 220 volts.