Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Anthony Frost writes:

Or more generally, treat the recipes as suggested starting points. Play
about with the quantities of ingredients until you get your ideal loaf,
and be prepared to repeat the process if you switch to different flour.

With my Panasonic machine I find the recipes have too much water, yeast
and sugar, and not enough salt. The dough rises too fast and you end up
with huge bubbles at the top, making it a bit drier helps keep the
bubbles where they form, and using less yeast and sugar and a bit
more salt (it acts as an inhibitor) gives a much more even finish.

Exactly same experience here too.

Protein content of the flour makes quite a difference too -- it's
normally given on the packaging. As flour ages, there seems to be
some effect as though the protein content reduces (I don't know
if that is actually what happens or if something else changes in
the flour giving the same effect). IME, wholemeal bread flour needs
to be quite fresh, and can start producing poor loafs long before
its 'best before' date, whereas white bread flour seems to be much
less susceptable to aging and can still work fine well after its
'best before' date. As someone who tends to buy in bulk when
special offers are on to tide one over to the next time a special
offer is on, this is something I need to consider.

--
Andrew Gabriel