WhoKnows

In article ,
says...
wrote:

I have a couple neighbors that have had their OB sewer pipe collapse and
had to pay a ton of money to get it repaired. I'm pretty sure I have
the same pipe in my old house and it's only a matter of time before I
have the same issue. Is there a way to fix this before I have a backup?
What is the best method?? Is there something that can be done without
excavating?

Unless your house is over 30 years old, you may not have that OB pipe.
OB pipe was not manufactured after 1972, when PVC pipe took over. If you
have not lived in that house for the past 30 years, you wouldn't know if
that pipe has already been replaced.
OB pipe has a finite lifespan. If installed incorrectly, it could
collapse. Another thing is that it can unravel and allow roots to enter
the pipe. There are still millions of miles of that pipe installed
around the country that is still working (yours included). No one here
can tell you when it may fail, or that you should go out and spend $K to
replace it before it does. That's a decision you have to make for yourself.
Curiously, back in the 60s and 70s, I used to work in the town where
that pipe was manufactured and ate in a diner right across the street
from it in Orangeburg, NY.

That's interesting. So in fact I may never see the problem. I know
this house had it because it's about 75+ years old. I believe it was
used when the all the houses in the area were converted from septic to
sewer sometime in the 30's or 40's. I'm leaning towards a preemptive
approach. I was just wondering what my options are other than digging
up the whole line to replace it.

Thanks,