IMM

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
Has anyone heard of Micro Combined Heat and Power units. I am made

believe that these are boilers that also generate their own

electricity
and
are highly efficient.

I hadn't realised that they had gone into production yet. I think

they're
great idea, but personally, I prefer to avoid 1st generation products.

If
you are into the "bleeding" edge, then try one. Just make sure you post

the
results here!

They don't generate much electricity, so you still need a genuine
electricity connection. However, they will plod away producing enough

for
your lights/fridge/freezer/TV, so that you only draw electric current

from
the mains when you're doing something big, like using the tumble dryer

or
kettle.

They will produce electricity intermittently. When the thermal store is

up
to temp and no heat is demanded from CH and DHW, then you draw from the
grid. It is claimed that over 50% of all electricity will be generated

in
the home using these units and 25% cheaper to run in both gas and
electricity, as you also sell electricity back to the power company.

Personally, mine would rapidly grow a small battery bank, so it could be
operated entirely off-grid, in case of power failure, and to provide
for larger surges than 1Kw.

No need. The Microgen can work off the grid giving 1kW 1kW will provide
all essential services to a house: fridge, lights, power for CH, DHW, etc.

I'd also be looking at a small gas storage tank that could be plumbed
up to the boiler for a mains gas outage too,

I'm not sure if you can store natural gas. You can but they may object. It
may be cheaper to have a natural gas and an LPG CHP boiler unit. The LPG
can be run off large gas bottles as this would be for backup only, so no
need for an expensive to buy and rent large LPG tank laying there consuming
money.

as well as considering
a large thermal store.

Good idea. And run very low temp underfloor heating from it.

The power company is of course the best place to sell back to, much
better than a battey bank - if it's working.

In your case I assume it doesn't. If you are prone to outages, then the
secret is to have as little on electricity as possible. And the appliance
you do, make sure they are all very high efficiency models. Running a gas
tumble dryer is a start.