DCH

(Mike LaViolette) wrote in
m:

What's the best way to flatten a panel? I don't have a jointer plane,
but might consider buying one for this project. I'm always looking
for an excuse to buy a new tool.

I used winding sticks and a jointer plane, I used a Stanley #8, bought at a
flea market, FWW's most recent issue shows how to do the same thing with a
handheld power plane....you may also want to consider a #5 with a slightly
crowned iron to take the high spots out faster....finish with the
jointer...

How flat is "flat enough"?

As flat as you can get it...you would be surprised how flat you can make
it, with just a plane and a few straight edges....

Best way to protect the top from dings?

SYP is fairly soft and will show wear and tear...when I made my bench I
just figured I would have to re-surface every so often...but that was a few
years ago and the top is holding up fine....

Hope this helps...

DCH