Larry Jaques

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:58:20 +0100, Andy Dingley
calmly ranted:

So, I got to see the beastie.

Until some time in the '60s, this machine was in regular use. But
times change, and a not unreasonable trend towards guarding the
whirling bits took it out of service. So it was placed in an old shed
and left to moulder.

Fourty years later and I disturbed the cobwebs to dig it out.

Tres cool.

All three shafts run on chunky Babbitt bearings. Which are wrecked. I
wonder if these were ever used after the demise of the wooden frame ?
By the looks of them, the shafts had had enormous runout when they
were in use, as the bearings themselves look like the insides of a
trumpet bell.

Will you rebabbit them or go to a new style, like pillow blocks
or something?

So, the plan is to reconstruct the bandsaw, borer and tenoner. Major
rebuilding and guarding will be needed, but it's eminently practical.
I don't think there's any hope of getting the sawbench / planer
working to modern standards, but it looks as if these will simply
unbolt ("bolting" being something of a vague notion in the current
state anyway).

Got it on your website yet? Please do so as it comes to life.

The bandsaw is large, although the frame is on the definitely skimpy
side; narrow cast iron above, bolted steel and timber below, with some
rather flexible joints. I think that old standby, the 2" x 1" box
section steel will be in much demand.

That should hold it. Hopefully, that pic I sent will help you
figure out how it should actually look as a working unit.

--
REBOOT AMERICA!