someone

"Teffy" wrote in message
om...
The closest Honda dealer I found selling models with tracks is an hour
away, and the owner is not at all enthused about providing service
from that distance. So, I have given up on Honda.

I bought the 9 hp Craftsman with tracks for $1150. Should I get the
5-year in-home extended protection for $150? ??? The salesman said
they come to your home to repair for free whether it is a warranty
issue or my screw-up. I am responsible for periodiic mantenance,
which is fine with me.

Usually I think extended agreements are a rip-off. But if this unit,
which is made by MTD, "lives down" to MTD's reputation, it might be a
good deal. What do you think?

One potential downside - the delay in getting them to come out may be
a matter of luck. One salesman said he thought they came around
"about once a week."

Thank you,
Teffy

I have a Sears (MTD) Track drive I bought more than 10 years ago. Never had
a problem with it but I don't have a driveway like you do and it is only a 6
HP. The first oil change I switched to 5W30 Mobil 1 (I have used it in all
my air cooled 4 cycle engines since it came out).

If you have any rocks in that gravel driveway, get some spare shear pins.
If they are like mine they are just soft bolts that hold the auger.

The maintenance I would worry about is throwing a tread. I think if you
annually check the tension on it you should not have any problem.

Also be certain to drain the gasoline at the end of the season, run the
engine until dry and squirt some oil into the cylinder (and turned the
piston over a couple times).