Willem van der Berg

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:05:25 +0100, Graham wrote:

Hello Graham,

Thanks for your reply.

The colour problem is a fault in the PAL decoder in the TV (you are in
Holland aren't you?)

Yes I am.

Now its impossible to diagnose the problem from here, perhaps a faulty
crystal oscillator?
However I might be able to suggest a work-around.

Does your cable box have a menu option for RGB output?

And does that old Sony have a SCART socket?

If so, and the socket supports RGB input, you will get colour and a better
picture than before.

Teletext is an RGB signal routed internally, no surprise its unaffected.

Indeed, it`s hard to diagnose the problem without actually looking at the
unit. But from what you are saying I gather that the source of my problem
is a defect in the TV. In other words, something I cannot fix myself,
like replacing a cable or something. For now that is the most important
thing to know.

I am not entirely sure what you mean with a cable box, in Holland every
house simply has a coax connection. Hook your cable on and voila, there is
no box or any settings to change. Which means I am out of luck there I
guess...

It seems like I need to bring the unit in for repair, I am not sure I want
to do this. I mean, it`s an old TV and not the main one... the repair will
set me back at least 50 euros. I`m considering buying a TV card for my
computer as an intermediate solution and purchasing a widescreen LCD when
they become affordable.

BTW, tonight it worked for two hours. Yesterday it worked for 20 minutes.
Does that make any sense?

Regards,
Willem