Andy Dingley

So, I got to see the beastie.

Until some time in the '60s, this machine was in regular use. But
times change, and a not unreasonable trend towards guarding the
whirling bits took it out of service. So it was placed in an old shed
and left to moulder.

Fourty years later and I disturbed the cobwebs to dig it out.

As far as I can tell, the combination machine is really two machines
on the same wooden frame. There's a lineshaft driven input shaft, then
two separate belt-driven shafts at different speeds. The high speed
shaft is the planer and sawbench, the low speed shaft the bandsaw,
horizontal borer and tenoner. There's a steel angle subframe holding
the tables up, but beneath that is a chunky timber frame and that's
well rotten by now. The wooden runners for the old sliding tables (?)
for bringing wheels and rims (?) up to the borer are just a memory.

All three shafts run on chunky Babbitt bearings. Which are wrecked. I
wonder if these were ever used after the demise of the wooden frame ?
By the looks of them, the shafts had had enormous runout when they
were in use, as the bearings themselves look like the insides of a
trumpet bell.

So, the plan is to reconstruct the bandsaw, borer and tenoner. Major
rebuilding and guarding will be needed, but it's eminently practical.
I don't think there's any hope of getting the sawbench / planer
working to modern standards, but it looks as if these will simply
unbolt ("bolting" being something of a vague notion in the current
state anyway).

The bandsaw is large, although the frame is on the definitely skimpy
side; narrow cast iron above, bolted steel and timber below, with some
rather flexible joints. I think that old standby, the 2" x 1" box
section steel will be in much demand.
--
Smert' spamionam