G&M

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You're joking? EFI dates back to the late '70s. Although a sensible
maker might well keep the electronics out of the engine bay anyway.

This reminded me of the craze for homebrew CD ignition systems in the
70s. I ran a Mini with a version of the Practical Electronics CD
ignition design from... must have been about '74. That's twice the
aforesaid 15 years ;-). This was also about the time when the motor
industry realised that if they would have to take EMC RF immunity issues
seriously.

I built one of those for an Escort Mexico rally car. One transistor went
pop at almost 7500 rpm. Hadn't thought about stress levels back then.