Doug Kanter

wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:44:30 -0500, Robert Galloway
wrote:

What's been offered is OK. I'd ask, why not use something that
polymerizes, rather than something that can be extracted again from the
wood handle? Something like tung oil, alkyd varnish, even BLS will
polymerize, seal the pores in the wood handle, not leach back out, would
seem to be a longer term solution. I'd thing mineral and paraffin would
require reapplication sooner than a thinned polyurethane/mineral spirit
mix. BTW, I do use this combination on the kitchen stuff and have been
satisfied with it. I'd think (haven't tried it) that mineral oil would
deposit a little of itself on every towel you laid the knife on until
most of the mineral oil leached back out. With something that
polymerizes, once it's set, it's set.

bob g.

I use equal parts parraffin wax and BLO. melt it, submerge the handle
and leave it over heat until the bubbles stop coming out of the wood.
give it a few days to dry and you have a very well protected handle
with little surface build.

What's BLO?