Glenn Ammons

Norminn writes:

What is the point of doing a temporary paint job, and redoing it in
the spring?

I want to protect the woodwork. We have three windows whose bottom
rails have rotted out from exposure caused by deteriorated paint, and
I want to keep the rest (and the porch steps, etc.) from doing the
same.

But, I'm not determined to paint or prime now, if there's a better
way.

Seems like a waste to me. Primer only might deteriorate - paint
should be applied within certain number of days. At this point, I'd
put my effort into caulking and weatherproofing exterior.

Pardon my ignorance (first house)---what do you mean by
"weatherproofing"? I bought some aluminum flashing yesterday that I
intend to nail to the window frames that get the most water damage; is
that the sort of thing you mean?

Thanks.
--glenn