Willem van der Berg

Default Sony TV switches to black & white after 30-60 min of use?!

Hi all,

I`ve got a Sony Trinitron Colour 4:3 PAL TV (KV-X2141D), purchased in
1993. It`s hooked up to cable TV. Lately I have been experiencing a very
odd problem, which I totally cannot explain. Perhaps someone here can help
me.

My display will all of a sudden `lose` the ability to show colour. The
image will only output black & white on every channel. The problem begins
after 30-60 minutes of use and therefore makes watching TV almost
impossible. Switching the TV off and back on again does not help. If I
wait an hour or so I get my colour back. But then my TV only takes minutes
to revert back into black & white. If I wait a day before turning it on
again the old pattern returns: black & white after 30-60 minutes of use.

Although my television is hooked up through a video with the cable signal,
I have confirmed that the problem is definitely my TV. When I use tv-out
on my computer (with a direct connection to the television) the same
problem occurs. That rules out both my video-recorder and my cable signal.
Which couldn`t have been the problem in the first place, as de signal
downstairs comes through in colour.

Here`s a twist: teletext always shows in colour, even when the tv signal
has dropped into black & white mode. I`m not an expert, but to me that
means that the screen itself is still working. I`m guessing something is
heating up and failing, but I can`t understand why the damage would not be
permanent or instantly occur.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Based on the symptoms, which is the
most likely place to look for the solution? Is it the TV or some cable or
something?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Willem van der Berg