chris French

In message , jonni
writes
"jonni" wrote in message
.. .
Currenlty doing up my old council semi and have stripped the Kitchen out

in
preperation for the Plasterer arriving on Monday to skim coat the walls.
Problem I have is the ceiling...... it will not be skimmed along with the
walls and there is quite clearly visible tape from where the plasterboard
was joined originally

1) Just wanted to update after receiving advice on above.

2) Now that the kitchen walls are drying and turning lighter I am noticing
some trowel marks and small indentaions, not huge but certainly still
noticable I think when coated in paint..........- sorry if I'm being overly
fussy it that quite normal for a skimmed wall? - I have to say the majority
is nice and smooth (read very smooth) and the beading placed over my old
rounded corners is fantastic....... the trovel marks are noticable enough
for me to think about buying some ready mix plaster and 'filling them' here
and there..... Any thoughts??

Wouldn't bother with ready mixed plaster, a bit of polyfilla will do the
job fine.

3) How long should I now wait before painitng these walls? what should I use
for the first coat?...... I've heard talk of diluted emulsion?

For a skimmed wall a few days is enough - once it looks dry. I use
diluted white emulsion (about 20-25%) for the initial coat. you can get
stuff like Dulux Supermatt for freshly plastered wall, but IME that
isn't necessary for a skim coat.

4) I've also arranged for him to come and skim my living room - £300 - 4.2m
x 3.2m room, which I thought was reasonable

Yep sounds ok, I've paid a similar price for our rooms.

Just finish by saying...... the skim coat has transformed my kitchen!!......

Yep, it makes the world of difference - we've ended up doing nearly all
the rooms in our house - smooth walls, and ceilings, crisp corners
luverly.
--
Chris French, Leeds