Roger

"Glenn Ammons" wrote in message
My wife and I just bought a house with some deteriorated paint on the
exterior woodwork. I'd like to repaint with latex paint, but it's too
cold for that (highs in the low fifties, lows in the thirties). Is
there anything else I could do to protect the woodwork over the
winter, so that I could repaint in the spring?

Pick a sunny dry day, and use a thinner or alcohol based primer, after wire
brushing and sanding. zinsser or bullseye make them, but avoid the acrylic
based ones, if they have typical acrylic temperature range tolerances.