Bob Peterson

First thing you should do is figure out your maximum current draw. Figure
out what you have now and what you are likely to have down the road. Then
pick an appropriate size load center and run the feeder to it.

is this an attached workshop or detached? if detached you will probably be
required to install an additional ground rod.

If detached its probably best to run underground feeder cable. if attached
you can probably use NM cable (Romex) if this is allowed for your
application, but you can't run Romex in conduit or outside at all.

I would not reduce the size of your neutral or ground wire, even if it is
allowed if running single wires. if you run a cable you have to take what
they give you.

The 50' distance probably will not result in all that much of a voltage drop
however you may want to upsize your wires just to reduce any voltage drop
when things are switched on. if you do this make sure you upsize your
ground wire size as well.

"Elmar" wrote in message
om...
Just built a WW shop about 50' (cable length) from my service panel.
What gauge wire should I be using? 4-4-4-6? If so, should I pull
them all individually? Or buy the premade 4-4-4-6? What size
conduit? 1.25"?

Shop is 16X20, may consider a/c eventually too. Aside from that, I
have all the other goodies, Table Saw, dust collector, Compressors,
I'll need a ton of lighting, etc...

Would I ever really exceed 70 amps? Could I maybe get away with
6-6-6-6?

Thoughts? Experience?

Thanks!

Elmar