JD

Agree with quarter turn ball valve.
I had a gate valve and it was a pain to open/close

Would it be worth running some extra pipe to a convenient space like a
kitchen cupbord?
JD

"Axial" wrote in message
The only water shutoff valve for my house is located in a recessed box at
the front curb, some 50 ft away. Using it requires a special long-handled
"tool" which is kept in the garage 80 ft in the opposite direction. Adding
to potential for confusion, the valve itself is very unclearly marked as
to on/off, plus there's another valve for the entire street just a few
feet away, which this tool also operates. With +100lbs water pressure this
makes me very nervous about how much water could potentially spill should
something disasterous happen.

It looks like the pipe runs underground up to the footings, either under
or through the footings, and vertically up on the inside of the foundation
in the crawlspace. Can a pumber add a shutoff at the house, by drilling
through the foundation? Are permits usually required for this kind of
work?