patrick conroy

On 21 Oct 2004 07:19:53 -0700, (Keith)
wrote:

Hello,

I want to make a wine rack that looks like:

http://www.thevinestore.com/18bowirasc.html

What kind of a saw is going to be best to make those rounded half
circle cuts that the bottles sit in?

Saw? Band saw proll'y. Or a really good jigsaw and plenty of
practice. I might try to "template" this. Make a template from 1/2"
MDF (using one of the above saws and a rasp, file, or OSS to perfect
the curves). Rough cut the stock on the bandsaw, tape template to
rough cut, flush trim router bit to the template.

I'm also going to be purchasing a miter saw. Will that help with this
project? I'm pretty new to woodworking.. A miter saw would just help
me cut the boards to the proper length, not cut out grooves like that
or anything right?

right.
If you want to start small - I got over a year of use from Delta's 9"
bandsaw (think it's about $90 at Lowe's). I cut a number of similar
shapes on that before upgrading. Downside is, now that I have a 14"
bandsaw the 9" collects dust. [ Err, poor choice of works because it
doesn't but it does... ]