EricP

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:49:57 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

In preparing for major decoration and re-carpeting, I've lugged an
enormous amount of stuff either into the garage or the loft. I'm now
considering whether to make the reverse job a bit easier by fitting a
loft ladder. I used to have one at my previous house. This one though
is a simple loose hatch (about 72 x 48 cm), which is pushed up and
stowed when entry is required, via standard aluminium step-ladders.

Assuming I *can* fit one into the rather cramped space near the hatch,
is it a matter of removing the 'supporting strips' underneath the
present hatch cover, and fitting hinges plus a spring catch to it
please?

I think you have got the idea ok. The problem you may have overlooked
is the ladder. The usual one is a two part aluminium one that is
hinged on one of the hatch boards. The ladder is reduced in length by
a half and then pushed up into the roof and then lays flat on the
ceiling in the roof. So if you can imagine a vertical of that length
sticking up from the hatch into the roof, it must then be able to
swing in an arc down onto the roof.

Mine mean I had to enlarge and move the hatch to get the ladder
installed.

So, find a ladder, go home and work out if you can install it, go back
and buy it, pray hard, install it.