Doug Kanter

Default Preserving a knife handle

Just bought a Japanese weeding knife for a friend. It's got some sort of
hardwood handle, but it's not treated with anything that I can see. When I
bought the same tool for myself 20 years ago, I had a little bottle of some
sort of oil made by Chicago Cutlery, but that's gone. I'd rather not buy a
large can of something I'll only use once in a blue moon. Is plain vegetable
oil good enough for something like this, just to make the wood a bit more
immune to moisture? It won't be exposed to LOTS of water, just dropped on
wet grass, frozen in the garage for 4 months, that sort of thing.