Secret Squirrel

(Keith) wrote in
m:

Hello,

I want to make a wine rack that looks like:

http://www.thevinestore.com/18bowirasc.html

What kind of a saw is going to be best to make those rounded half
circle cuts that the bottles sit in?

There are a lot of ways you could do this. Personally I take a piece of
wood wide enough to make 2 of these with and cut round holes, using
either a hole saw in the drill press or a wing cutter. You could rip the
board in half to yield 2 pieces. I'd use a bandsaw for the ripping
operation if you have one as it'll be a little easier to do safely, but
it could be done on a table saw as well.

I'm also going to be purchasing a miter saw. Will that help with this
project? I'm pretty new to woodworking.. A miter saw would just help
me cut the boards to the proper length, not cut out grooves like that
or anything right?

Yes, while you can do lots of things with a mitre saw, dadoing and
grooving are not among them. Those things can be done with a table saw,
radial arm saw or a router. They can also be done in more manual ways
using planes, handsaws and chisels depending on the application.

Thanks,
Keith