Leonard Caillouet

Default Satellite antenna grounding

I continue to see satellite receiver installations that are not grounded to
the electrical service ground or any other ground at all. I thought the NEC
was pretty clear that they must be grounded. Is there something that I
don't know? I service TVs all the time and encourage people to check the
grounding on the electrical service regularly. I often check them for
clients and notice that antenna and sat, sometimes cable are not grounded at
all. Antenna installers seem to be better about it, and cable installations
are better than they once were on this matter, but very few of the sat
antennas are grounded. What am I missing?

I just serviced a commercial installation in a medical facility and found
the same thing on the Direct TV installation. Checking the continuity b/w
the coax shield and the ac ground found an open ( in the Mohm range) with
about 8 volts induced ac. The leakage current was under the limit of 500
microamps, but shouldn't the damned system be grounded?

What has me wondering is that I see it so often.

Leonard